You might want to do a few stretches before you make these adorable soft ginger cookie sandwiches because they are going to run right off the kitchen counter. Soft and chewy cookies loaded with warm gingerbread spices, filled with cinnamon frosting, and covered in the cutest Santa’s Workshop sprinkles. The little character hand-piped royal icing gingerbread man will have everyone chasing him around the kitchen for one last delicious bite!
Can’t wait to hear what you think of these festive cookies! Tag us @sprinklepop.shop so we can see your cute cookie sandwiches.
WHAT YOU NEED:
– 1 c. White Sugar
– 1 c. Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 1 Egg, Room Temperature
– 1/3 c. Dark Molasses
– 1 1/3 c. Flour
– 2 tsp Baking Powder
– 1.5 tsp Ginger
– 1 tsp Cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp Cloves
– 1/2 tsp Salt
– Extra 1/4 c. White Sugar
– Melted Chocolate
– 1 c. Salted Butter
– 3 tsp Vanilla Extract
– 2 tsp Cinnamon
– 4 c. Powdered Sugar
– 5 tbsp Heavy Cream
– In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Approximately 3 minutes.
– Mix in egg until fully combined.
– Slowly stir in molasses.
– In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
– Slowly stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
– Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
– Scoop dough into 1 tbsp sized balls and coat dough balls in sugar. Place balls on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
– In an oven preheated to 350 degrees, bake cookies for 7-9 minutes or until edges start to deepen in color.
– Pull cookies from oven and allow to set on pan for an additional 5 minutes. Place on cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
– While cookies are cooling, make your buttercream by beating butter until light and fluffy.
– Slowly add in powdered sugar until fully combined.
– Add in heavy cream, vanilla extract and cinnamon and mix on high for several minutes.
– Once cooled, pair up cookies and fill one side of cookie with buttercream frosting and sandwich cookies together.
– Roll the outer edge of buttercream in sprinkles.
– Drizzle tops of cookie sandwiches with melted chocolate and finish with some additional sprinkles.