Spring means sunshine and mini egg season! Woohoo! I’ll be the first to admit that I eat an alarming amount of mini eggs but I simply cannot help myself. Those little bits of chocolate egg delight are my weakness. Loaded with chopped mini eggs are our Pastel Confetti sprinkles, these easy frosted mini egg sugar cookie bars are a delicious and fun treat to bake up this Easter. It’s also kid-friendly so grab your little one(s) and put them to work mixing!
Here’s what you need:
Sugar Cookie Bars:
- 1 c. Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese, Softened
- 2 c. White Sugar
- 2 Eggs, Room Temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2.5 c. Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 c. Mini Eggs, Chopped, Divided
- “Pastel Confetti” Sprinkles
- 1/2 c. Salted Butter, Softened
- 2 c. Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3-4 tbsp Heavy Cream
- Optional: Pink Food Coloring
Sugar Cookie Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9×9″ (for thicker bars) or 9×13″ (for thinner bars) pan by spraying with baking spray and lining with parchment paper.
- In a stand up mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add in eggs one at a time, beating in between additions.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Slowly mix in flour, baking powder and salt.
- By hand, stir in 1/2 c of chopped mini eggs.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 15-25 minutes (depending on how big your pan is) or until the edges begin to brown and you can insert a toothpick into the center of the bars and it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat butter on high until light and fluffy. About 5 minutes.
- Add in powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in heavy cream and turn to high and beat until smooth and fluffy. Another 3 minutes.
- Add in vanilla extract.
- Optional: add in several drops of pink food coloring to achieve the shade of pink you would like.
- When bars have cooled completely, apply buttercream to top of bars and generously top with Pastel Confetti sprinkles and the remaining 1/2 c. of chopped mini eggs.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!